At I Heart Dogs, it is important that we match the personalities, lifestyles and activity levels of the potential adopters with the dogs available for adoption.
How To Adopt A Dog
Complete the Adoption Application and bring it with you, along with the following items, to our Haven during our normal business hours.
- A driver’s license or a state-issued ID with your current address showing you are at least 18 years old
- Residency: The owner of the home must consent to the adoption of the animal. If you rent, we require a copy of your lease stating that you are allowed to have pets and frequently also require a letter from your landlord. If you own your home, please bring a copy of your deed, mortgage payment book or tax bill. Please note that we only adopt to people living in the Detroit Metropolitan Area.
- All members of the household, including children, must meet and approve of the new canine family member.
- If you presently have a dog(s), we invite you to bring them with you as all dogs must participate in a meet & greet at the Haven.
- Contact information for your current veterinarian, as well as veterinary records for current or previous pets, if applicable. You must be able to provide proof that all dogs and cats presently in your household are up-to-date on their vaccinations.
Meet with an Adoption Coordinator
Meet with an Adoption Coordinator at the Haven, or at an adoption event, to review your application, answer additional questions, and discuss dog/s of interest. We may also make additional suggestions about dogs that we think might be a match. All approved applications will move to the next step.
Meet the Dogs
Meet one or more of our fabulous furry dogs to identify a match for you to adopt! If a connection is made and you decide that you want to adopt, your application will proceed to the next step.
Veterinarian Check – We will contact your veterinarian to ensure that your present, and even past, pets have been provided with proper care.
When one of our trained volunteers conducts a home check in your home, our goal is to ensure that the environment is safe and secure to successfully welcome your new dog. We will identify areas that pose a risk with the dog escaping, hazardous materials within the dogs reach, and provide tips to the entire household on the role/s everyone can play in setting the dog up for success. Once the home check has been successfully completed, there is one last step in the process.
Finalize the Adoption
Finalize the adoption and take your dog home!
We are a firm believer that training develops a strong bond between you and your dog, and creates a platform of communication so your dog knows when he/she is pleasing you. Many of our dogs are adoptable without a training requirement, but we will always encourage you to sign up for a class with a local positive reinforcement trainer. We also have dogs where we may require you to participate in our training as part of the adoption process so that you understand the importance of becoming a leader with the dog. In either case, we offer training at our Haven for all of our adopters because we believe so strongly in its value.
In addition to offering free training, our volunteers and staff will occasionally check-in with you to ensure the transition of the dog into your home is going smoothly and you have the support you need to make it a successful adoption.
Timeframe for the Adoption Process
Our commitment is to do our very best to complete the entire adoption process within one week; however, we ask for your patience in accommodating unforeseen circumstances that may surface during the process preventing us from achieving this goal.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY
Please take note that every dog adopted from I Heart Dogs comes with our lifetime promise. If, for any reason, you can no longer care for your dog, we want you to bring the dog back to our Haven because we are no-kill… we will keep searching for the perfect home for that dog.